jueves, 23 de septiembre de 2010

MODALS VERBS

Modals of Ability 1 - Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might


1.When Vera was young, she could not type quickly. She took a typing class and now she can type very quickly!
2.Kevin was disappointed because he wasn't able to get tickets for the football game
3.May  I borrow your dictionary?
4.My cat can jump, but it can't talk
5.Could you play the piano when you were a child?
6.Sara can cook Italian food and she is able to cook French food too!
7.Can dogs fly? No, of course not!
8.The family can't decide where to go on vacation. They might go to Los Angeles or they may go to Hawaii.
9.The little girl asked, "Mommy, can I have a cookie?" The mother said, "Yes, you can."
10.Peter couldn't swim when he was a child, but now he can. In fact, he swims every day
11.She is able to understand Korean very well, but she cannot speak it perfectly.
12.George is absent from class today. He colud be sick.
13.I'm going to bring an umbrella today because it might rain.


Modals of Advice 2 - Should, Ought to, Had Better

1.A: I think that the grade my teacher gave me on my test is wrong.
  B: Really? You ought to talk to her after class today.
2.I need help, doctor. My baby doesn't sleep well. What should I do?
3.Dave loves chocolate, but he shouldn't too much or he will get fat.
4.I'm going to visit your country. Where I should go if I want to go shopping?
5.It's raining and I don't want to get my dress wet. I had better bring an umbrella.
6.A: I'm so hot.
  B: You should take off your coat!
7.My mother isn't feeling well, so I told her that she ought to go to the doctor
8.The airline only allows two pieces of luggage. You had better not pack too much or you will have to take it out at the airport!



Modals of Necessity 3 - Must, Have got to, Have to

1.Son: Mom, I don't want to clean my room. Do I have to clean it right now?
  Mother: Yes, right now
2.If Richard wants to become a professional musician, he has to practice every day
3.According to the law, drivers must stop at stop signs.
4.Mr. Wu: Hi, Mark. Where's your dad?
  Mark: Oh, he had to go to work because there was an emergency
5.When a police officer asks to see your driver's license, you have got to show it to him/her
6.In order to log on to the Internet, Sally must enter her user I.D.
7.If you have a pet dog, you have got to feed it every day or it will die!
8.Friend: Does your sister have to pay to see the doctor?
  Brother: No, she doesn't because she has medical insurance.



Modals with “Not” 4 - Must not, Do not have to

1.You mustn't be late for class, or the teacher will be angry
2.In Canada, employers mustn't discriminate against women or minorities. It's against the law
3.You mustn't unplug the computer while it is turned on
4.You don't have to buy the text book for this course -- you can borrow mine.
5.You mustn't smoke in a gas station
6.You don't have to live in Canada to study at the University of Victoria. You can take a course by Internet
7.Shops mustn't sell cigarettes to children
8.You don't have to  pass a test to ride a bicycle.
9.Canadians don't have to get a visa to travel to the US
10.This bus is free! You don't have to buy a ticket



1 comentario: